Monday, December 13, 2010

A Sham for Shane

Not too long ago, in my first post, I talked about this amazing Alexander Henry fabric I had just purchased - "The Outdoorsy Type". I am so thrilled with the outcome of my first project using it which was a pillow sham for for my friend Shane for Christmas.

I followed the envelope-backed pillow cover pattern from Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts (http://tinyurl.com/2wubt4f). This is a super easy pattern,perfect for the beginner as the sham is made from one rectangular piece of fabric. Here is the basic pattern:
  1. First you need to determine the size of the pillow form you want to make the sham for.To figure out the size of the rectangle you will need, add 1 inch to the height and multiply the length by 2, then add 6 inches. I used an 18" pillow so my rectangle measured 19-by-42 inches. Once you have your measurements, draw the rectangle on the wrong side of your fabric using a fabric pen or chalk and cut it out. With your fabric facing right-side down fold the shorter edges in a 1/2 inch and press. Fold in a 1/2 again, and press. Pin and stitch 1/8 inch from the inner fold on both edges.

  2. Fold the left and right edges in (right side of your fabric facing inward), overlapping them by 4 inches. Measure your square to make sure it matches the dimensions of your pillow before pinning and sewing.

  3. Pin the edges of your square together and sew leaving a 1/2 inch seam allowance. Turn right side out and use a point turner to push the corners out.

    *Instructions from 'Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Fabric Crafts' p. 210


Voila!!! A beautiful pillow sham for a great friend for Christmas :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! These are great! I love the print - only you would come up with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Lyndsay!!! To bad I don't need one for Christmas, I don't have a house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!! I saw this fabric online and I had to have it. I still have quite a bit left so I think I'm going to make a tote bag for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kickass! Let me know if you start taking orders...I have been looking for cushions to match my crazy red and purple plaid sofas for some time now....

    ReplyDelete