Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Craft Corner

It's officially December and I have been in full swing crafting mode for a few weeks now. In order to get everything done in time for Christmas, I decided to temporarily convert my (tiny) dining table into "Craft Central" and to be honest, I don't think I'll change it back! I feel so organized and love that all my sewing notions have their own spot. Plus, have a dedicated craft corner has really inspired to be to get some projects done.

One of the first projects I completed was a quilted playmat for my cousin's adorable new baby, Mia. I had some really bright and fun Amy Butler fabric (http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/) left over from previous projects that was perfect for creating the simple patchwork centre of the mat. I chose two complimentary patterns and cut out fifteen separate 5" squares (7 of one pattern, and 7 of the other). I sewed them together in 3 rows of five, alternating the squares to form a checkerboard pattern. After sewing the three rows together to form the centre I attached a 5" border all the way around and a matching plain cotton back in solid yellow. I used organic cotton batting and followed the quilting instructions for this simple yet adorable blanket featured on The Purl Bee's site: http://www.purlbee.com/cheerfil-quilted-playmat

This was my first attempt at patchwork, and I made it up as I went along so I apologize that I don't have specific directions to post. However, I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out, so should anyone want the directions for my version of the playmat please let me know as I will be creating them for my own records as well. Here is the playmat finished:

The countdown is on to complete all my holiday projects, stay tuned for the finished works!! Sixteen days left before I board a plane and head home to Ontario, hopefully with all my Chirstmas presents completed and wrapped!

3 comments:

  1. I read this post on the bus the other day and have been meaning to come back to comment. Mia is really going to love that blanket. As I mentioned in my post, those hand-made gifts are something people cherish forever. :) I can't wait to see how your other gifts turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you ever feel the need to trial run any of Mia's handmade gifts Oliver is totally willing to accept first attempts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noted! I'm actually working on some bib patterns, so you might just have a few things coming your way -- Penelope and Holly too :)

    ReplyDelete